A Swine Farm technician provides care for the sows and piglet on a sow farm. The starting rate for this position is $12/ hr.
This position is part-time; Thursday-Sunday.
- Daily monitors and evaluates sow health and condition.
- Maintain accurate records and submit them in a timely manner to the supervisor.
- Ensure that the farm's work environment is safe by using safety equipment and following safety protocols.
- Monitor and report thermal environment for animals.
- Perform routine maintenance and pressure washing as needed.
- Following approved SOP guidelines, feed and water daily.
- Assist in moving sows, boars and piglets as directed by Supervisor.
- Follow animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animals needs; provide access to adequate water and high-quality feed; provide humane treatment of the animals; provide identification and appropriate treatment of the animals in need of health care; and follow the guidelines for euthanasia.
Position responsibilities for a Farm Technician working in the Breeding and Gestation Department also include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the processes of heat checking, artificial breeding, and monitoring of sow pregnancy status, following established protocols for CVFF.
- Assist the Farrowing Department when needed following farrowing job description guidelines.
Position responsibilities for a Farm Technician working in the Farrowing Department include, but are not limited to:
- Record deaths and births daily on sow cards provided and submit them in a timely manner.
- Process litters daily. Processing includes but not limited to castration, iron shots, and tail docking.
- Assist sows when having farrowing difficulties. Medicate sows when needed -- following predetermined protocol.
- Aid in Breeding and Gestation Department when needed following breeding and gestation job description guidelines.